PHP’s 20th birthday is this month. It’s been asked people share their PHP story so here is mine:
Perl will always the language I think in, C# is the language I most enjoy these days, PL/SQL is what the job demands, but without PHP my life would be so very different. Thanks you, Rasmus Lerdorf. Thank you, PHP.
A few of my recent projects since the last post. Not as many hardware projects.
PastebinLib — a library for interacting with Pastebin.
TemplateEngine — a small library for rendering HTML templates.
iServer.cs — a dinky web server. Now that I know what OWIN is this is probably going to be soon forgotten.
Linka — a replacement for a tool at work. The old one worked with our iSeries system. This one works with Oracle. Not really useful to anyone but me.
Feathermay’s Clock Shop — my entry into a littleBits contest. Alas I did not win, but I still use this as a clock.
One of these days this site being overhauled is going to be a recent project.
A few updates to some of my projects:
This site. Not at update but an acknowledgement, this site needs an overhaul very soon.
Crisis Alarm. With the Fourchan.cs library almost done, the SparkCore.cs library working, and the actual alarm itself functional, all that remains is to write the desktop control software that will scan /co/ for interesting threads. When it’s finished there will be a proper project page on the site.
littleBits + Laser Pegs. I’m still working on a proper cloud controlled lamp.
littleBits + ATOMS. I’ve gone a little further than this video, and have a working apparatus if I need to control littleBits through my phone’s Bluetooth connection. Big thanks to Michael Rosenblatt for sharing an ATOMS Bluetooth module with me; sadly you cannot find those anywhere.
7-segment Display. I bought a 7-segmemt component with a crappy datasheet and thus had to write some code and make my own datasheet to figure it out. I think I burned out a portion of it during my testing, so my datasheet is not 100% confirmed. 90% though.
Laser Pegs are cool. Arduino boards are cool. So I decided to mix them together. Video 1 and video 2 are small demonstrations of how they can work together.
I will eventually take proper pictures and fully document the project. The short version is:
1x Arduino Uno
1x 2N4401NPN transistor
1x Laser Pegs triangular power base (for the plug)
Several pin-tipped wires
Open up the power base and use a soldering iron to remove one plug from the board. The middle pin is positive (+) and the outer wall is negative (-). Solder wires to the plug so you can plug it into a breadboard. For video 1 I powered the pegs straight from the Arduino, but I recommend and plan to follow the video 2 method of using a transistor too keep from pulling too much power through the Arduino.
Using the Keypad.h library and a 74HC595 shift-register I can now count to 15 in binary. Maybe I can count higher when I get some more LED’s.
The code to run this was mashed together from the following two links:
Arduino Uno: https://www.adafruit.com/products/50
Step one toward joining the Homebrew CPU club has been taken. What I made was a breadboard Arduino based off this design. It took me about a day to build because I kept wiring it up to my Uno incorrectly, but it finally worked.
It’s running a test program that counts up and flashes a light for 1/10th a second every two seconds. Tiny but proof it works. :)
One of my first microcontroller experiments. This uses a Parallax BASIC Stamp 1 Project Board and a discontinued Geosafari Digital Recording Lab. the PBASIC program switches states of a variable when the button is pressed, which turns the LED on or off.
PBASIC code forthcoming.
Still not much time for big, personal projects. However, I have been snatching time here and there for a few, small things.
The Wally Framework, which is still being polished so don’t download it yet. This is a generalized version of the framework I’ve been using for web projects at work this past year. It’s developed in-house, because as good advice as it normally is to use others’ code, I wanted to understand how our LMS worked from top-to-bottom. I also didn’t want to get locked into version n of a framework, have n+1 come with a whole new API, and be left with a largely abandoned code base I’d have to learn from the bottom up.
Racket-learning, my catch-all repository for experiments in Racket. The past couple of weeks I’ve finally been getting into Racket…not like the other times when I’d install it, dabble a few hours, and forget it. Though I doubt I’ll ever be a professional Schemer, I enjoying getting my mind to think in sync with Racket.
Tic-Tac-Toe, a silly diversion during a dull training session which taught me some finer points about WPF. Though I planned to add a single-player feature at the time, some reading of tic-tac-toe game theory…or the lack there of…dissuaded me.
My last post was about how I was late to the Github party, but since then I’ve been using it for most of my personal projects and a few work-related ones. I haven’t had to roll anything back yet, but knowing I can is kind of nice.
Finally started uploading some code to my Github account. Right now it’s one unfinished wrapper and a small client I use at work ever since something more official and Enterpise-y broke. I’m quite late to the Github party, so I suppose that means some new SVC software will start trending soon. Har har.
Work for the past few months has been pretty hectic, hence the lack of updates here. I’ve done a ton of cool stuff, including redoing the E-Learning system at work with my own full stack MVC framework. Learned a lot, learned some things not to do, but it has eaten up a ton of my life. Hopefully as the summer gets here things will slow down enough for me to redesign the site a bit.